A big part of Personal Marketing is promotion.
As you may have read in “Personal Marketing (Promotion)” I suggest that part of promoting yourself involves posting to a blog or participation in forums and commenting on blogs. As you start participating in discussions on the web you will start to get noticed.
How are you noticed?
- Your Avatar will be displayed
- Your words will be read
Avatar: a graphical image that represents a person, as on the Internet.
“avatar.” Dictionary.com Unabridged. Random House, Inc. 08 Oct. 2009.
Is your Avatar a big sideways “G”? That’s an indicator that you haven’t setup an Avatar yet. So you are associating your name and comment with a Generic Brand. If you don’t want that to happen, then you might want to read on.
How do I setup an Avatar, so I won’t appear as a big “G’ or a Generic brand Avatar?
You need a Globally Recognized Avatar. There is a service called Gravatar.com, see the video that follows to see more details about what a Gravatar is.
To setup a Gravatar is a very simple process:
- Read “Resizing your image for social network profile” before you setup your Gravatar. You need the right scale image to make your Gravatar look good.
- Make sure you have an image ready that’s Gravatar sized.
- Visit Gravatar.com
- Click the Get a Gravatar Today button or visit Gravatar signup page.
- Enter your email address you want associated with your Avatar
- Click Sign up button
- Expect a confirmation email, check your junk email folder if you don’t receive a confirmation email.
- Confirm your email
- upload your Avatar
- Verify your Gravatar is working, by posting a comment on this post.
Note: You might have to flush your browser cache in order to see your Gravatar show up.
Gravatar Overview Video