Steps to avoid feature creep
- Create a list of features for the planned product version.
- Some people call this a specification.
- You know you can ship when the planned features are implemented and tested.
- Get product stakeholders approval on specified features before implementation begins.
- The agreement on specified features helps everybody (developers, testers, sales, marketing, customers) know what the product is supposed to do when it’s done.
- Create a feature wish-list to collect suggested future features.
- The key to avoiding feature creep is to prevent the features from sneaking into the existing product specification.