I don’t have enough time is something I hear people say all the time. It’s not really the truth. You need to really sit down and listen to what you’re saying to others. The message you’re sending is I won’t make the time.
Consider how much time it would actually take to sit down and pay a little attention to your loved ones. If you really love them, you need to make the time.
Here are some ways you can make the time:
- Send a text message 😉
- Send an email
- Post a thoughtful message on someones Facebook wall.
- Write a note
- Call on the phone
- Take them out for coffee or hot chocolate
- Go out for a walk
- Go out for dinner
- Play a board game
- Play a video game
- Go to your kids’ school activity
- Watch TV with them
- Watch a Movie with them
- Schedule time for them in your busy calendar
The next time you consider how you’re going to spend your spare time, think about the message you’re sending to your family.
- Parents – if they’re still living still love to hear their kids say I love you
- Spouse / Significant other – want face time and physical interaction
- Siblings – like to know what’s going on in your life
- Children & Grand-children – want you to notice them, they want your undivided attention, they want to know they’re special to you
The song “Cat’s in the Cradle” is a song about spending our life chasing temporary things and teaching our children to do the same.